The House reconvened Tuesday, January 22 for the second week of the 2019 Legislative Session. This week, the House and the Senate held joint Appropriations Committee hearings on this year’s budget. I have listed some key highlights of the AFY 2019 and FY 2020 budget and listed them below for you.
AFY 2019 and FY 2020 Budgets:
FY 2020 Budget Highlights:
- $3,000 permanent salary increase for teachers; the largest teacher pay raise in Georgia’s history. To enhance educational outcomes, we must invest in those who educate, inspire, and lead our students toward a brighter future! This is the largest teacher pay increase in Georgia History!
- A 2% merit increase for all state employees.
- $500,000 in initial funds to create a gang task force within the GBI
AFY 2019 Budget Highlights:
- There is $69 million within the amended 2019 budget going to school safety measures in every public school in the state. Thanks to Governor Kemp’s recommendation. every school in Georgia will receive $30,000 for security improvements!
- $8.4 million in additional funding to expand the APEX program in public schools which allow mental health school counselors to work on early intervention, diagnoses, and treatment! This is budgeted in order to address the mental health issues that often lead to school violence.
- $1 million will be allocated to the Department of Community Health to craft state flexibility options for Georgia’s Medicaid Program. The Georgia House Republican Caucus is committed to improving outcomes and enhancing access to quality health care across Georgia!
Stay Up to Date:
Are you interested in learning more about all that goes on during the Legislative session? If so, the Georgia House of Representatives website has everything that you need to stay up to date and informed. From press releases to live video broadcasts of the House Floor, you can experience your state government in action up close. Click here to learn more.
I am honored to serve on three committees in The Georgia House. I am currently serving as a member of the following committees.
As the 2019 session continues I promise to work diligently to pass meaningful and helpful legislation for the citizens of Georgia. If you find yourself in Atlanta during session, I encourage you to visit me at my Capitol office, and please do not hesitate to call or email me if you have any questions or concerns regarding any current or upcoming legislation. My Capitol office is located at 401-D Coverdell Legislative Office Bldg, 18 Capitol Square SW, Atlanta, GA 30334. My office phone number is 404.656.0152. I can also be reached via email at Dale.Washburn@house.ga.gov.
Thank you for allowing me to be your representative.